This blog chronicles the importance of and efforts to return to Mother Earth in spirit and in body. This journey is not one of primitivism or reenactment of an earlier age. It's hope is to inspire me to find the middle ground between necessities of the 21st Century, the need to find a simpler way of life, and our ethical responsibility to protect the land and preserve our natural resources.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

The free-range chicken or the nest egg

From a marketing perspective, there isn't a lot of validity to the term "free-range" these days. However, it's the sentiment that's important. Does one first search for the free range or germinate ideas for cabin design? I guess the question is moot, if money (or lack thereof) is the first stump to clear. So, I have decided to entertain both the search for land and the drafting of cabin plans simultaneously to keep my mind occupied and the dreams alive while the money is carefully saved.

The cabin
For years, I happily have thought about owning a cabin in the woods. In the daydream it was a place to which I could retreat--a place to regenerate and steel oneself for the eventual return to "life." Perhaps that is why I never took the notion seriously--it was impractical to think only of diversion without taking a serious look at my life.

The curious thing about the cabin I've had in mind is that it has never evolved. It hasn't become more elaborate. It hasn't metamorphosed. Though it has changed locations from time to time. (I remember thinking about how a cabin might be at this spot or near that lake, or whatever.) But it has never changed in its size, structure, orientation, or amenities. All of these years I have summoned the same cabin.

Recently when I sat down to sketch it, the cabin, as they say, simply flowed from the pencil. I searched for prefab cabin plans on the Internet that I might use to gain perspective on costs and construction detail. There are some cabins with similar features, but I think the plan is unique.

The land
Finding land that has reasonable access and the advantages of electricity and water has been surprisingly easy to date. Any quick online search will return a couple dozen properties from Taos to Montana along the Front Range. Looking at property that spans from 10 to 30 acres, prices start as low as $200 an acre.

I've read that one can be self-sustaining on just two acres of farmland. To insure some privacy from neighbors, 10-20 acres would be ideal. Besides the fertility of the soil and it's elevation, the acreage must be appealing to a future buyer--most likely as a retreat home.

The yolk of the matter
Initial thoughts are to visit some properties and get a better sense of what is out there. I'm going to continue to draft and tinker with the plans and elevations.

4 Comments:

Blogger cabinbabe said...

I say stay sunny side up and you won't get scrambled or fried.
It's a simultaneous organic event for both the chicken and the egg to manifest themselves. Just stay sunny side up.

Sunday, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Udurawana said...

You have created a nice blog mate! Don't you think, you need bit more publicity to this work? You can publish extracts of each of your blog post on "Open Blog" and add a "Read More" link to your blog. You get some more additional visitors, and inbound links.
Click Here to give it a try.

Sunday, July 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

Wednesday, July 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

Thursday, July 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home