This blog chronicles the importance of and efforts to return to Mother Earth in spirit and in body. This journey is not one of primitivism or reenactment of an earlier age. It's hope is to inspire me to find the middle ground between necessities of the 21st Century, the need to find a simpler way of life, and our ethical responsibility to protect the land and preserve our natural resources.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Postcard from the left side of the brain

I'm a frustrated designer who has been living for twenty-five years with the notion that what I do is of insignificant value. I create ephemera. I contribute to the glut of noise and gilt of advertising. Surprisingly, I'm rather good at it. And that has made it OK for years. To be precise, I do believe that my work from 9 to 5 (and then some) is important for the capitalistic wheels of the world to keep turning; it's just not me. Maybe it never was.

It's not exactly the crossroads of a mid-life crisis; perhaps it's a mid-life awakening that keeps me up nights and agitates my brain and senses. I can't help but wonder, that if efforts were placed squarely on the ideals that well from the soul, could I recreate myself in an image more congruous with the person imagined when I was younger and innocent?

Unfortunately, there are more than ideals that drive the dream of leaving a lifestyle behind. The details of reality might be overwhelming when putting theory into practice--if I weren't such a stubborn optimist. We'll have to see about that.

2 Comments:

Blogger cabinbabe said...

You're not leaving a lifestyle behind;you're adding to the one you already have

Sunday, July 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Wednesday, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home