This blog chronicles the importance of and efforts to return to Mother Earth in spirit and in body. This journey is not one of primitivism or reenactment of an earlier age. It's hope is to inspire me to find the middle ground between necessities of the 21st Century, the need to find a simpler way of life, and our ethical responsibility to protect the land and preserve our natural resources.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Primitive Makedo

A friend of mine suggested that I get some "log cabin" wallpaper for my house to simulate living in a cabin. It would give me the "feel" of it. Theoretically, she explained, the simulated logs would be a test of my psychological and emotional responses. I said I would think about it. Apparently, they make wallpaper that looks like real logs; I'd never heard of such a thing. A quick search on the Internet proved her correct.

The paper comes in prepasted, double rolls. According to the wallpaper store, the pattern can be hung horizontally or vertically. (What?! Who builds a log cabin with the logs going up and down?) This being the computer age and all, and I'm still "on the grid," I thought it would be fun to mock it up in Photoshop before going to all the trouble and expense of hanging the wallpaper.




It looks kind of cool,
but I think there's
going to be real issues
getting it to stick
to the bricks
.

6 Comments:

Anonymous borgwoman said...

There was this author named Jack Finney who wrote the story that the Invasion of the Body Snatchers movies were based on. He also wrote time travel stuff and alternate dimension stuff. His time travel stuff didn't have a time travel machine. You just surround yourself with stuff from the time period you want to go. You don't eat food with preservatives, and you only wear clothes made of natural fabrics. Eventually, you trick your body into believing that you actually live in that past time period, and then you walk out the door into that time period.

But I don't think that wallpaper is going to do it.

Friday, July 28, 2006  
Blogger Storyteller said...

The stripes should go vertically - makes one look taller you know!

Friday, July 28, 2006  
Blogger cabinboy said...

Borgwoman:
Jack Finney, yeah. I read Time and Again and From time to time. I really like the first. You made a great connection! It's funny, you picked up on a clue to my personality, and I think that's cool. And no. The wall paper is not going to do the trick!

Friday, July 28, 2006  
Blogger cabinboy said...

Storyteller:
Don't tell me, you're from the big city, huh! Actually vertical stripes also make you look slimmer!

Friday, July 28, 2006  
Anonymous borgwoman said...

Okay, so I went to San Antonio Saturday and went to see one of the other missions (not the Alamo). And they have this mill, and it's the oldest restored mill in Texas, or something like that. And they make whole wheat flour to sell to tourists for $3 a pound.

So, if you want to try the Jack Finney method of time travel, you can buy some of this flour and make some bread or something with it.

Monday, July 31, 2006  
Anonymous borgwoman said...

I went to San Antonio on Saturday and we looked at two of the other missions (not the Alamo). One of them has the oldest restored mill in Texas, or something like that. So they make whole wheat flour and sell it to tourists for three dollars a pound.

So if you want to try the Jack Finney method of time travel, you can buy some of this flour and make some bread or something.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home